wonky time when upgrading to potato

I have two AlphaStation 200 4/166 machines, which I currently have slink
installed on. When I first installed them however, I tried to upgrade them
to potato, but then the time went all wonky. hwclock returned the correct
time, but every other program turned up all sorts of interesting answers
for the time. The time seemed to jump around randomly, showing no consistency.

Is there any particular reason why potato would behave differently than
slink?

I would like to upgrade the machines to a more recent version of linux, but
I don't want to ruin the installations.

Thanks
--
[***This signature has been deleted by the U.S. Department of Defense.
Not for any particular reason, but it's our lunch break and we like