dd-ing images?

Hi,

since my base-install floppies (potato) are completely outdated, I
decided to make new ones with uptodate *.bin for potential rescue
purposes. I am a little bit confused now, because after dd etc. I cannot
mount most of the floppies. It worked O.K. with the rescue.bin. It is
readable as -text2 and shows files, but it does not work with root.bin,
driver-1.bin and driver-2.bin. The older base-install *.bin had been
dd-ed under RedHat prior to install.

At first, I thought the floppies might have been corrupted. So I
reformatted the floppies with superformat. What confuses me, is a
changing value for deviation. Sometimes it says deviation=-1120,
sometimes it says deviation=-1040.
floppymeter gave the following values:
capacity deviation= -1015 (again something different!)
deviation on time_per_rotation= -920
deviation on data transfer rate= -96

Are these values within normal? Is it a problem that the capacity
deviation changes? Which value to choose for /etc/driveprm?

With a dd-ed floppy I get these outputs:

getfdprm looks normal: DS HD sect=18

/tmp/foo: gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Sat Jul 15
00:58:41 2000, max compression, os: Unix

e2fsck /dev/fd0 gives the following error message:

e2fsck 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/fd0
Could this be a zero-length partition?

Since several attempts with rescue.bin always have been successful and
several attempts with root.bin, driver-1.bin or driver-2.bin always
failed, I cannot help but thinking, that the *.bin files are not O.K.
Can anybody tell me, what is going on here? Am I playing tricks to
myself somehow?

Thank you in advance,

regards,

Kerstin