Re: Potato/Xfree401/mutlihead problems

Hi,

> > [...]
> > I need to divide between Bus 0 and Bus 1, since the SRM firmware
> > gets screwed if it finds multiple VGA-Bioses on Bus 0. It seems it
> > doesn't try to x86-emulate Boards in Bus 1.
>
> Can that be an explanation?  If a card is not initialised by its BIOS,
> it may be in an undocumented state with which Xserver will not work
> correctly.

Maybe. On the other hand, running the G200's in an x86 system as
multihead *requires* turning of their BIOSes - I did that, by telling
the systems Bios to initialize AGP-VGA first. I can't tell, what
kind of init the cards really need.
Also, for exactly *that* scenario, XFree uses it's libint10.a, to initialize
cards that have previously not been initialized by POST procedures.
I assume, this fixes Alpha conflicts as well.
But it sure is a pointer, that I will follow.

> I guess the x86 machine runs all the VGA BIOSes, doesn't it?

Hard to tell ( see above ). If I run the x86 with one of the G200's alone,
it produces no grafics output ( yes, I switched BIOS back from AGP to PCI
VGA ). The card's Bios appears to be turned off. There is a ( DOS based )
Matrox utillity, that is supposed to display several characteristics of
an installed Board. Running this with the AGP Voodoo as primary display and
the G200 as secondary, it gives *nothing* on the G200 board - I therefore
assume, the card has not been inited by BIOS routines.

> There is an x86 emulator which is reported to initialise Matrox cards and
> was apparently developed for use in multihead configurations.  Check out
> ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/devel/x86emu/ .

Thanx for the pointer. I'll check that anyway.

However, one question still remains. Has anyone gotten XFree 4.0 running
multihead+xinerama on Alpha's ?

Sincerely,
Thomas Weyergraf

--
Thomas Weyergraf                                                kirk@colinet.de
My Favorite IA64 Opcode-guess ( see arch/ia64/lib/memset.S )