swriteboot to all disks during install ?

Hi all,
I have installed debian-potato on my alpha using disks-alpha version
2.2.15-2000-06-07. The system uses two SCSI-HDD on a build-in Adaptec
and a third on an external symbios-logic controller.
I partitoned the first drive ( the one to boot from ) leaving enough
room for swriteboot to write the SRM bootloader ( yes, the machine is SRM ).
The other two drives were partitioned using *all* of their space for
data partitiones.
After the initial base-install finished, the reboot unveiled, that drives
two and three did not have any vaild disklabels on them. I confirmed this
( believing in my own stupidity ;-) by repeating the base install process.

For the third try, I also left the first cylinder unused on drive 2 and 3,
and now everything went OK. the drives were perfectly mounted upon
reboot.

This makes me believe, that the install-routines swriteboots *all* drives.
Here are my questions:

1. is my assumption correct ?
2. is this intentional ?
3. Is it known/fixed ?
4. Is all this new to everybody and I should go ahead and fix it ( if no
   one volunteers, I should be able to do it - but I ask first ;-)

Sincerely
Thomas Weyergraf

--
Thomas Weyergraf                                                kirk@colinet.de
My Favorite IA64 Opcode-guess ( see arch/ia64/lib/memset.S )