Re: FYI

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 09:38:08AM -0400, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > It may be a size assumption when enumerating interfaces (IIRC to do with
> > ifr_addr in struct ifreq, but don't hold me to that).

> Hmmm...possibility, but it works when anyone except root runs it.  Turns
> out that using the -P0 option makes it work for root as well.  All other
> -P options cause the error again.  Looks like the ping code (or the ping
> type may be invalid for the interfaces...???)....

That's just performing a connect() scan - it doesn't require any
monkeying around directly with the interfaces (which pinging does).  If
you try one of the cleverer scans (eg, -sS) it should complain about not
finding interfaces even without -P0.  The reason it works as a user is
because users don't have enough access to do anything that requires nmap
to form packets itself (like ping does).

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/