Instal help

Before any flames are sent this way ... I am a raw newbie to Linux on Alpha.

That said, I have a Cabriolet that I am trying to install Debian slink on.
I boot from SRM using

>>>boot fd0

MILO comes up and I do

MILO>boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

At this point, the machine boots, and prompts for the next disk.  If I try
to load the Debian root disk, the install exits with a kernel panic, and if
I use the Drivers disk, I get to the Debial initial install screen.

The other problem is when I get to partitioning the drive (1.7G IDE ...
can't afford a SCSI card for this baby :) the setup routine tells me that it
can't see the drive.  The drive is visible to ARC, so would the problem I am
having be because I am booting through SRM?

The install docs are a little confusing, and the SRM and MILO FAQ's aren't
much help either.  Any suggestions as to the better way to boot?

TIA

Rob