Re: [John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>] Kernel oops in read()

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 08:33:30PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> This is kernel 2.2.15 or 2.2.16pre7 (same on both).  The following
> test program, run as *ANY* user on the system (not just root), causes
> a segfault (expected) and a kernel oops every time it is run.

Why do you say that a segfault is expected, because x86 does?

>From what I can see of the "read" semantics, IMHO, "read" would be
justified (on *any* architecture) in returning an error indicating a
bad address was specified, and no segfault need actually occur or be
delivered to the user process.

Proper behavior for that program, again IMHO, thus is an infinite loop
of failing "reads", because the EFAULT return error is being ignored.

But yes, of course the Oops is wrong; I have patches to fix that,
ready for 2.2.16 and 2.4.0-test1.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com