Re: COMPAQ CXX

> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:53:56 -0800
> From: crauser@mpi-sb.mpg.de

> Has anyone tried to install Compaq's new cxx compiler on
> the new debian poato release. I have some problems as
> the comp.config files does not seem to work.
>
> It would be nice if some guys could report about their experience.

I recently installed potato on a Compaq DS10. I believe that I installed
after the test cycle started, so it should be up-to-date with the
current ftp.

I have successfully installed the Compaq Fortran, C, and C++
compilers. I first installed the Fortran .debs, this also installs the
math libs and so on.

I then installed Compaq C, by converting the Red Hat RPMs using alien. I
only converted the package "ccc", and used the Fortran .debs for the
support libraries. For C I had to hand-edit the comp.config file (I have
appended the content below).

Finally I installed cxx (the C++ compiler). For that I converted the RPM
for "cxx" using alien with the "-c" option (to translate the postinst
script). This script automatically generates a valid comp.config file
for the C++ compiler. I did not install any of the other RPMs
recommended by Compaq for C++ (notably I did not use their
binutils). Problably the debugger is not functional for Compaq C++.

Anyway, I have not tried the Fortran stuff yet, but C and C++ seems to
work fine, with impressive floating-point performance. The Compaq
compilers seem to deliver far superior performance to gcc. It is a bit
of a pity that we have to rely on a closed compiler for computationally
intensive computations on Alpha, but that's life I guess.

Anyway, I hope this helps, feel free to ask for further details if
necessary.

Content of /usr/lib/compaq/ccc-6.2.9.002-2/alpha-linux/bin/comp.config:
  | -SysIncDir /usr/lib/compaq/ccc-6.2.9.002-2/alpha-linux/include -SysIncDir /usr/local/include  -SysIncDir /usr/include -SysIncDir /usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-linux/2.95.2/include -L/usr/lib/compaq/ccc-6.2.9.002-2/alpha-linux/lib -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-linux/2.95.2

 - Kristian.

--
Kristian Nielsen        kristian.nielsen@risoe.dk
Risø National Laboratory