From: "Roland Rosenfeld" <roland@spinnaker.de>
To: <debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2000 2:26 PM
Subject: cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed

Did anybody try out to burn a CD using cdrecord on an alpha?

I just connected my Yamaha 4/4/16S on my AlphaStation 200 4/166 and
tried to burn a CD with this, but all I get (when trying to burn or
blank a CD-RW with normal or dummy test mode) is the message
 /usr/bin/cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed

Any idea, what this means?  Is this a software problem or a hardware
problem.  I had some trouble with the writer on my i386 system (seemed
to write, but created CD was empty, but all without a message), so I
wanted to try the writer connected to the Alpha (i.e. on a different
SCSI system), but now only this message.

BTW: Reading CDs with the yamaha works and cdrecord -scanbus also does
its job:

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (--) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) 'IBM OEM ' 'DCHS04F         ' '2222' Disk
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW4416S        ' '1.0e' Removable CD-ROM
        0,4,0     4) 'DEC     ' 'RRD45   (C) DEC ' '1645' Removable CD-ROM
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

This is a potato system with cdrecord 3:1.8-2.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *