srm netboot

Hi all
I have a multia (166) that I am trying to get set up.  I've read all the docs and done this and done that.. and I am still not getting this to work .. so I'll tell you what I did and maybe you can tell me where I am doing things wrong ..
1. I have the multia with 32 meg or ram and a 4 gb seagate scsi drive
2. I have a slackware linux (7.0) file/nfs server set up on an AMD K6-2/450 system
3. SRM firmware version is BL3 X3.5-72 Nov 30 1994 18:22:35
I did the following
1. downloaded aboot_0.5-2.deb and resc1440.bin from the debian ftp and mounted the rescue binary to /mnt (mount -t msdos /mnt resc1440.bin -o loop) and ar'd aboot_0.5-2.deb into a tar.gz file .. unpacked it and concated boot/net_boot.ns linux boot/net_pad > /tftpboot/vmlinuz.bootp and set permissions 755 on that file
2. downloaded the debian base 2.1 tgz file and unpacked it into /nfsroot/ directory
3. enabled bootpd and tcpd in the inetd.conf
4. edited the bootptab file on the nfs server to include these lines:
*alphawolf is in my dns server entries
5. killall -HUP inetd
6. edited the neccessary files in the base debian directories (etc, etc/init.d)
7. typed the following at the SRM prompt on the multia
>>>boot -proto bootp ewa0 -flags "root=/dev/nfs nfsroot="
and I get :
(boot ewa0. -flags root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=
tyring BOOTP boot.
Broadcasting BOOTP request...
.file open failed for bootp/ewa0.
bootstrap failure
on the nfs server .. a tail of /var/log/messages tells me that in.bootpd has been called and is running
a ps -ax tells me that in.bootpd is running
Can anyone give me a clue as to what I am doing wrong?