Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

>>> rdp@talisman.mv.com said:
>
> > It's too bad that there's no way to set SRM environment variables from
> > within a booted OS, as I've discovered that aboot is rather picky about
> > booting correctly when bootdef_dev and bootdef_osflags aren't set :(
>
> Yeah, I don't know much about that level. Richard or Jay would be much
> better suited to talk about that, I do remember seeing something about why
> we can't do that, but can't remember what it was.

It's not easily done because the SRM console expects a certain environment
when it is called, both in address space and in argument list (VMS-style!).

We have some tentative patches that support a number of callbacks such
as getenv/setenv/puts, done against 2.2.14 IIRC.

Anyone willing to help test them?

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                       Alpha Engineering - LINUX
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20    (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752  Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com