Re: Test boot floppies (from CVS)

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 01:13:20PM -0500, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've gotten the full set of boot-floppies to build to my satisfaction and
> sort of work - they boot on my PC164SX with SRM and dbootstrap runs (library
> reduction was broken but I fixed it).
>
> The set is at http://eradicator.org/debian/alpha-potato-boot/

We are working on the Alpha boot floppies too as I emailed last week. We did
a couple of things differently so I just want to ask for a couple of
clarifications.

* you ditched all of the arch-specific kernels in favour of the generic one.
Are you sure the generic kernels work on all Alpha archs ? We took the
approach to build all archspecific kernels and add a generic boot floppy.

* Instead of putting MILO on an extra floppy we stayed with the 2.0.35
MILOS, removed the sysmap from the boot floppies and could fit MILO and
kernel on one floppy this way. Is there any advantage when using the
2.2 MILOs which are a lot bigger ?

* have you spoken to Herbert Xu about the 2.2.14 Alpha kernels ?

Personally I'd prefer to keep the archspecific bootfloppies and just _add_
a generic target so people get more possibilities in case of problems
while booting.

Any opinions from other Alpha users ?

Greetings,

				Christian