Re: Weird lockups

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Matthew R. Pavlovich wrote:

> > suspect Linux itself.
>
> This sounds like enough people to catch the ear of the kernel folks.
> Anyone have an idea how to track this down?  Sysreq isn't of much use, and
> I cannot reliably reproduce the problem.  I have built X twice now, with
> out problems.  Current uptime on PC164: 3 days 20 hrs.

Mine's been up almost a day now. Whee...

> > I get hard, unrecoverable lockups pretty frequently. Just last night it
> > locked hard after accessing the ethernet card. Before that, it would lock
> > almost every time I played a sound, so I ripped out the soundblaster card.
> > I initially suspected the IDE bus, so I went all SCSI. Then I suspected
> > the ISA bus, so I went all PCI. Now I think it could be an issue with
> > module loading.
>
> Why do you think this?

In my initial setup of the machine, with RedHat Rawhide 10/??/99, the
machine would lock completely this first time I either:
	accessed the cdrom drive (CMD646 and iso9660 module)
	ftp'd to another machine (3C59x module)
	played a sound		 (sb and friends module)

This is what led me to suspect modules, as well as similar reports on the
axp-list of lockups wrt sound modules.

> > 3Com 3C905B <--this is the next to go
>
> I have one of these, why do you suspect this?

I just sent another post to linux-alpha wrt this.

> > Trident 4DWave PCI soundcard (not configured yet)
> > Matrox G200 PCI
>
> You remember to set X up w/ an 'SD' Matrox G200?  PCI cards don't have the
> sgram.

Don't remember. I'll have to look tonight. XSVGA server, though.

> 2.2.13 is current kernel for me.  Have you had lock ups w/ 2.2.13?

Yes, but none so far with 2.2.14. I can't isolate the kernel as being the
cause, because I've made hardware and .config changes.

	Regards,
	Robb

--
Robb Romans