Framebuffer and fbset [Was: Re: Alpha and MatroxFB]

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> There's a "framebuffer howto" on http://www.alphalinux.org/ which might
> help.  Matroxfb is somewhat broken on Alpha so it won't boot in graphics
> mode, this is a known problem with no known solution. :-(
>
> But it will boot in text mode and then switch nicely into graphics.  The
> howto describes how to do this in all the consoles automatically (on
> Redhat), IIRC.
>
> You don't get the penguin, but everything else seems to work.
>
> Zeen,
>
> -Adam P.

Does anyone have some "/etc/fb.modes" file with some default settings
around? I can´t seem to make the correct entries there. Or does anyone
know how to convert X modelines to fbset modelines easily?

Also would others also like to have the penguin (or penguins on dual
systems) stay at the top, maybe together with a xosview next to it (or
inbetween for dual systems)?

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin