My alpha died :-(

On Thu 28 Oct 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:

> I also noticed my machine shouting the following across the console:
>
> CIA machine check: vector=0x630 pc=0x12016f9f0 code=0x86
> machine check type: correctable ECC error (retryable)
> CIA machine check: vector=0x630 pc=0x120170324 code=0x86
> machine check type: correctable ECC error (retryable)
> CIA machine check: vector=0x630 pc=0x12016fac8 code=0x86
> machine check type: correctable ECC error (retryable)
>
> This looks like memory dropping a bit, right? I didn't really
> notice any symptoms, gotta love that ECC.

... or not... This week there was a power failure, and when the power
came back on, all that happened was that my XLT 300 beeped...

I've since found out that the beep codes (124 124 124 133) mean a problem
with the B-cache and that no good 2MB segment could be found. As I find
it unbelievable that both banks (4x16MB + 4x8MB)  are suddenly dead, I
guess that it's not the simms but the cache logic.

Does anyone know whether there's hope of having it fixed, or should I
just write it off? :-(   What's best-bang-for-your-buck alpha system to
get nowadays? There's quite a lot of different motherboards out there...
I need scsi (pref. UW), network, and a couple of free slots for my ISDN
and sound card (and room for maybe a second scsi card), Being able to
recycle the Matrox PCI I had would be great as well. Oh yeah, it's got
to be available in Europe, and of course cheap :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/