Re: apt-get upgrade dies badly ...

* Michael Alan Dorman (mdorman@debian.org) [991102 22:00]:
> Christopher C Chimelis <chris@debian.org> writes:
> > Sorry.  This should've only happened with libc6.1 2.1.2-6 and older Alphas
> > that don't support 21164 instructions.  It was a compile error on my part
> > (sorry).  -8 and -9 should be fine, though.  Can someone please test
> > upgrade from a glibc version prior to -6 when they can?
>
> When I try to install libc6.1_*-9, ldconfig gets run, which tanks on
> an illegal instruction still.
>
> Suggestions?

Just get the sources of ldso, compile them and then install the package.

This works fine and saved me. However apt keeps on insisting unpacking the
broken package over the good self compiled one.

This means that you will need to reinstall your selfcompiled package everytime
you use it upgrade packages until there is a newer one that is compiled for
the proper instruction set.

Mike