Install on LX: halted too many errors

Hallo !
I recently got an CD-set containing Debian 2.1 for Intel and Alpha. I
havn't used Debian before so maybe I made some beginners mistakes (I used
SuSE/RedHat so far for many years). This is about my attempt to install
Debian on my Alpha along with some problems/questions.

The installation went fine up to the point just before package selection.
Unfortunately at that point I did not record the errors. Somehow it
couldn't find a file which it was able to create (albeit slowly). I then
went through the packages but was unable to select all I wanted because of
some missing dependencies.

When I intended to start the installation it complained again about some
file but I "solved" it by choosing single CD (instead of multi CD). I did
not go through the package listing again.

During install some "odd" things seemed to happen. GPM could not
autodetect (I just Ctrl-Ced it and manually selecte PS2). Then messages
like:

memory violation at pc=1555555db58 rp=155555fff4
bad adress 00000fc9

appeard (the numbers may be slighly off). Suddenly (?) the installation
finished with the message:
halted too many errors

and I got an login prompt. Since I was quite exhausted I rebooted back
into RedHat. Unfortunately I havn't found a way to convince AlphaBios to
boot into Debian again since it is some rear partition on my IDE disk.

Machine type:
LX 164 128 MB RAM, 1 SCSI, 1 IDE Disk, Debian on IDE.

Question:
Is something wrong with the media ? I couldn't find simmilar experiences
in the archives. Is multi-CD working on Alpha ?

I am probably willing to kill the SuSE partition and install Debian up
front on the IDE disk.

Thanks for any help

             Helge

--