Re: AS255: UW SCSI, sound, video, kernel

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> >         To bring this back to the Alpha, doesn't x86 kernel support for a
> > scsi driver imply Alpha (and SPARC and MIPS and ...) support?

> 	So, no. Not all linux code works on all systems. XFree86 is a good
> example. How many servers work on Alpha as compared to x86?

	I said *kernel* code. Since I thought that the kernel drivers were
written on top of a CPU-specific abstraction layer (the raw assembly.)
I'm aware that most code isn't 64-bit clean, or is little-endian dependant
(notably XFree86, since it's all raw-hardware based.)
	Isn't "good" code portable, including linux kernel drivers?

	(I ask because as soon as Sysmerica gets my 164SX/533 combo order
right... )

						Alex Winbow