Re: Ghostscript troubles

> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 11:53:41AM -0400, Matthew R. Briggs wrote:
> > Printing Test page using: cat /usr/lib/apsfilter/setup/test.ps |

gs -q -r600x600 -dBitsPerPixel=1 -sDEVICE=lj5mono -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dNOPAU
> > SE -dSAFER -sOutputFile=/tmp/fileNZQuVO -
>
> Does this problem als occure if you open the file directly in gs?? If not,
> what option triggers this error?? And what version of gs are you using?

I'm using gs 5.10, but I had similar problems with 5.50.  That's what made
me think there was something broken somewhere that I couldn't see.  If I
open the file in gs directly, it creates a window and then crashes horribly,
outputting all sorts of "stack operand" debugging information to the screen.
I could attach it if you wish, but it's voluminous.

Simplifying the command arguments, I get this:

[fortbriggs:/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini:root:]>cat /usr/lib/apsfilter/setup/test.ps
| gs -sDEVICE=lj5gray -sOutputFile=/tmp/testgs
GNU Ghostscript 5.10 (1998-12-17)
Copyright (C) 1997 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in setscreen
Operand stack:
    --nostringval--  45  106  false

Unexpected interpreter error -15.
Error object: (f80)op(416:setscreen)0x12006d9c0
Operand stack at 0x1202cbb38:
[...stack dump continues...]

And this:

[fortbriggs:/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini:root:]>cat /usr/lib/apsfilter/setup/test.ps
| gs -sDEVICE=lj5mon
o -sOutputFile=/tmp/testgs
GNU Ghostscript 5.10 (1998-12-17)
Copyright (C) 1997 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in setcolorscreen
Operand stack:
    --nostringval--  45  106  --nostringval--  90  106  --nostringval--  15
106  --nostringval--  75  106  true

Unexpected interpreter error -15.
Error object: (f80)op(106:setcolorscreen)0x1200321a0
Operand stack at 0x1202cbb38:
[...stack dump continues...]

And finally this:

[fortbriggs:/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini:root:]>cat /usr/lib/apsfilter/setup/test.ps
| gs -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=/tmp/testgs
GNU Ghostscript 5.10 (1998-12-17)
Copyright (C) 1997 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in setcolorscreen
Operand stack:
    --nostringval--  45  106  --nostringval--  90  106  --nostringval--  15
106  --nostringval--  75  106  true

Unexpected interpreter error -15.
Error object: (f80)op(106:setcolorscreen)0x1200321a0
Operand stack at 0x1202cbb38:
[...stack dump continues...]

Depending on which driver is used.

> > This is of course accompanied by four unaligned traps on the console,
but
> > those were present when printing worked.
>
> Those must be fixed sometime soon as well. I hate those unalignment traps
;=)

> > I'm tempted to do a wipe and reinstallation but I have a lot of time
> > invested in this machine and I thought I should ask here before doing
so.
> > Has anyone seen a problem like this before?
>
> A reinstall is not likely going to help if you install the same software.
At
> least, it shouldn't... If you could send some more info (see above) to the
> list I would like to help out...

I appreciate your help quite a bit.  My question is, does gs actually work
for anyone?  It seems it must but the question must also be asked.

Matt

___
Matthew R. Briggs
mbriggs at switchboard dot net