Re: Another UDB/Multia installation question

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 manning@uclink4.berkeley.edu wrote:

> Ok, i'm trying to install slink, and i'm booting from ARC ok, off the
> floppy, and i get to the milo prompt. After some haggling, i got it to
> do something. here's the boot thingey...
>
> MILO> boot fd0:/linux "root=/dev/fd0"
>
> it's all ok, until it loads the root thing. Right after, it does a
> kernel panic because it can't mount /dev/console. Any idea what this is?
> or what i'm doing wrong?

Having just done this with my SX (we have AlphaBIOS, but it's pretty much
the same), try feeding this to MILO:

MILO> boot fd0:/linux root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1

And have your "root" disk ready (it'll ask for it).  In short, without
telling it to prompt you to insert the disk you wish to load into RAM,
it'll assume that the disk image is already inserted, causing the kernel
panic.  Also, without the extra options, it doesn't even know that it
needs to load the image into RAM and the floppy doesn't have enough room
to expand that image into.

Give it a shot and let me/us know if it works for you :-)

Good luck!!!!