It lives!!! (kinda)

Hi all...

Well, I got my RAM in and just booted up my new SX164 tonight :-)  For
s&g's, I used the slink CD's that were kindly sent to me and it works
fantastically :-)  Wow, what a change from my UDB!

Anyway, I still have a long way to go on this machine (gotta move the
UDB's 4G Barracuda over and modify it's boot process...this 200MB IDE
drive just isn't gonna cut it for anything), but I'm hoping to have it up
and officially on the Net by Monday.  In the meantime, I'm still available
for builds, but will have to do so exclusively on a.d.nl.  Oh, also I
worked out a deal with my employer where I get to sit the new Alpha
(hostname is 'spawn' btw...I'm a huge comic fan) on the Net proper in
exchange for hosting a work-related database that's currently under
development by me on a crappy old Pentium 75 (also Debian).  If/Once I get
more Barracudas, I'll be offering a full mirror of slink and potato source
and may be able to grant build accounts on it (we'll see how my uptime
goes after the first two weeks).

At any rate, there's more good news.  Between myself, the upstream
authors, and the maintainers of PostgreSQL, Debian will shortly have a
functional PostgreSQL package set for Alphas :-) And, yes, it'll be based
on the brand spankin' new 6.5 release.  It took some ugly work, but I got
it going and I must say that Oliver (the Debian maintainer of postgresql)
was extremely helpful in resolving this.  Just a little ego boost to
Debian: I believe we'll be the first distribution with a working
PostgreSQL on the Alpha :-)  Thanks also go to Bart for lighting the
proverbial fire under my butt to get this done :-)

Lastly, John just notified me that the GNUME packages that I uploaded
recently need a recompile.  There was an anomoly introduced by fakeroot
that hosed the whole set of packages.  Expect a rebuild by me based on the
new gnome-libs package set, all NMU.  It'll take me a few days to
accomplish this, but I should be able to finish by Monday or Tuesday (in
case anyone is really into GNOME).

That's it :-)  Happy Alpha-ing!