Re: slink -> potato, all messed up!

On Mon 18 Oct 1999, Ron Farrer wrote:

> Ok, so I tried dselect to upgrade. It downloaded all the required files

AFAIK apt-get is recommended for upgrading.

> but kept getting stuck on login. Ok, so I figure "fine" and did "dpkg
> -i *.deb" in all the directories, I got to web and started seeing out
> of space errors. So I typed "df -h" and it says /usr (and subdirectories)
> is at 100% usage... WTF? /usr is 1.8GB! It had around 500MB of free space
> and / had 1.2GB free before I started! So what happened to it all?

You did a 'find' to find all .debs on your system, installed them all,
and now you're wondering why you don't have any space left?!

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/