Re: apt whoops!

On Tue 12 Oct 1999, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:

> Unpacking replacement bsdutils ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /software/linux/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-alpha/base/bsdutils_2.9w-3.1.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/bin/kill', which is also in package procps
>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>   /software/linux/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-alpha/base/bsdutils_2.9w-3.1.deb
>   E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)
>
> this doesn't look healthy.
> should I send a bug report on both bsdutils and procps?

First check whether any bugs are already reported.

This was a topic on debian-devel very recently (which is the more
appropriate forum for such topics, as this is in no way alpha-specific).
In bsdutils 2.9w-3 /bin/kill was removed, but one of the hurd people
protested. I guess that's why an NMU was done to include it again.

Point is that the procps kill uses /proc, which isn't available on hurd
(I guess). The BSD kill will probably work on both linux and hurd,
although on linux it may be suboptimal.

For now you could install bsdutils by hand with dpkg --force-overwrite .

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/