symbol __register_frame_info, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined

Hi,

Yesterday I updated my local Debian mirror, but accidentally deleted a
bunch of the new files, but decided to go on with apt-get
--fix-missing to at least install what is installable. After
installing the new dpkg 1.4.1.9, I got the error

dpkg: error in loading shared libraries: dpkg: symbol __register_frame_info, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1 with link time reference

when invoking dpkg, which is *BAD*.

Probably it has to do with not having installed the very newest libc?
I have currently installed 2.1.2-0pre12. But then dpkg, and some other
programs like diff that have stopped working, should depend on a
certain version.

Also, does anybody know a safe way to try another libc? There used to
be a statically linked ln to undo changes to the libc link, but I
can't find it anymore.

	Falk