Re: Tru64 UNIX netscape, upgade to unstable or not?

Hi

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 03:02:12PM -0700, Ron Farrer wrote:

> I want to upgade to a 2.2.x kernel, but after reading
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/running-kernel-2.2
> I cannot decide whether to download the fixes, which are a lot, or
> upgrade to unstable? Is anyone running unstable, how "stable" is it? The
> system I'm upgrading is my primary workstation, bad idea?

Downloading those fixes is IMHO much less of an issue than upgrading to
unstable. AFAIK unstable is still fairly unstable :-) The first thing I did
after installing slink on my Alpha box was to upgrade to kernel 2.2 and the
nature of most of the problems listed above is such that unless you're using
some of the fancy networking problems, they won't affect you.

Since it's your primary workstation I'd advise to stay with stable and upgrade
to 2.2.x, specifically (due to the recent problems) 2.2.9 is a very stable
release.

> The reason I want to upgrade is because I'm trying to get the Tru64 UNIX
> netscape to work but it gives me this error:
> 3946:./netscape: /sbin/loader: Fatal Error: set_program_attributes failed
> to set heap start

This is certainly implemented in 2.2.x. 2.0.38 wont help you since IIRC the
only alpha patches available for 2.0.x (Nikita or someone, correct me) are for
the 2.0.35 kernel, which you already have.

Martin