Initial console for multia

Hi

  I got a multia several months ago and I've been trying to install
Debian on it ever since.

  I have a floppy drive, a 2.5in IDE drive and a SCSI CDROM. I have
already installed Red Hat 5.2 but I prefer Debian.

  I am able to get the kernel to load but it always freezes with the
message "unable to open an initial console". I noticed that Red Hat's
CD has a /dev/console and Debian's CD doesn't, which is probably why I
was able to install Red Hat in the first place.

  I have tried root=/dev/fd0 , root=/dev/scd0.

  Is there a way to install Debian starting out from a working (Red
Hat) system ??

  Is there a way to install a /dev/console on a floppy ??

  Does anyone know of a Debian CD (for alpha) with a /dev/console in
it ??

  Thanks

     Arturo Galvan.