Re: 32-bit binaries (was: Re: Star Office)

Christopher C Chimelis (chris@classnet.med.miami.edu) wrote:

> I have it and it should work, but it probably could bear to be reposted
> here in case others want to know.  I have the linker script saved without
> the message, so if you can dig up the original message and repost, it
> would help :-)

sfx: "doh!" it's gone now, all I can find is this:

Re: Tru64 executeables
Subject: Re: Tru64 executeables
From: Ivan Kokshaysky (ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 00:46:43 AKDT

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 12:25:13PM -0400, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> What we really need is the -taso flag added to GNU ld. This flag links
> a process so that it runs in a 32-bit address space (e.g. it places
> everything so that the upper 32 bits of all addresses is zero). Minor
> kernel changes are also needed. That would allow Netscape and a
> variety of other broken programs to be easily compiled in AlphaLinux.

Actually, it's possible right now. Create linker script with
`ld --verbose', edit it like this
- . = 0x120000000 + SIZEOF_HEADERS;
+ . = 0x10000 + SIZEOF_HEADERS;
and link with it. Then you have to set 1 (EF_ALPHA_32BIT)
at file offset 0x30 (Elf64_Ehdr.e_flags) in the executable.
Any 2.2.x kernel supports this flag.

(Thanks to Richard Henderson who pointed that out at the gcc list)

Ivan.