Re: Star Office

On 15 Sep 1999, Ron Farrer wrote:

> This was just discussed on the Rat Hat axp-list.

I caught a piece of it, but my mail server was shut down due to Hurricane
Floyd, so I missed the outcome.

> Sounds good go me, but I have to question the chances of them doing this are? I mean I kinda doubt they would want to put
> the SPARC against any more compititon if they can help it... JMHO though!

The thing is, Star Office was already ported to a few other archs (not
64-bit, mind you, but it was ported), so it has a shot at being decent.
If Sun treats this like they treated the JDK, we've ALL got problems, but
if they're kind enough to supply the full source, we could probably do the
port ourselves and see how receptive they are about the patches.  If they
say "no", at least we tried and can probably distribute the patches
outside of their acknowledgement.

> There have been MANY articles on /. in the last two weeks on this, some imply it WON'T be a true Open Source license, and
> others say it might. Guess, we'll have to wait and see...

Yep.  It's anyone's guess since Sun is not known for being too generous
with their licensing.