Re: MULTIA -> SIOCADDRT : Invalid argument

Izaak Bozof wrote:

> Steve
>
> Can you please explaing the command "yer"?  I am not familiar with this and
> cannot find anywhere in man or ifconfig info.
>
> rgfd
>
> izaak
>
> At 08:03 p 9/4/99 , Steve Udell wrote:
> >Oliver wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I compiled a new 2.2.12 - kernel. On boot screen I can see twice:
> >>
> >> "SIOCADDRT : Invalid argument"
> >>
> >> What does it mean? How to fix?

>Linux kernels 2.2.XX do not need the route -net add command
>take it out of lo and yer ethernet with a comment # and reboot
>So you just for yer ifconfig for yer loopback
>and yer ifconfig and your route gateway for the nic card(if needed)

>>Steve
>>Can you please explaing the command "yer"?  I am not familiar with this and
>>cannot find anywhere in man or ifconfig info.
>>rgfd
>>izaak

yer=your its not a command.
So in english:

Linux kernels 2.2.XX do not use the route add -net command any longer.
It automagicly knows the route.

You do need to to have your ifconfig and 'route for your gateway' still tho.

if you let debian do a messy job of installing the network your not
going to see these two lines clearly but whats directions I give can
be translated to it without much difficulty(on your part) (or yer part<g>)

*Please be aware the IPs and Netmasks may differ on your machine*
*adjust to your's*

So directions on a Debian system:
cd /etc/init.d/
vi network

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
#route add -net 127.0.0.0

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
#route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
route add default gw 24.9.180.1 eth0

***
Notes: notice the two route add -net blahblah.blah lines have been
       commented out with a #. This is done for a 2.2.XX kernel to
       stop thoes pesky SIOCADDRT  errors.

	I say comment them out because so you can put them back if needed.
	I hope this time I make sense....

	Last note yet again is that debian auto sets this up at install
	if you have never fixed it up to something simpler (cause debians
	way uses variables and a ton more lines) in case of huge networks(i guess)

exter notes: look for these two lines (they will look like them)
route add -net 127.0.0.0
&
route add -net ${NETWORK}

COMMENT them both out
with a # in front of em..you should be fine.
Save and exit..  (you know this is just for rebooting)
you can take down the etherntet by hand and put em back up by hand
type man ifconfig or go check out the NET-3-HOWTO