modem issues

As I'm fairly new to Linux, I'm in the process of migrating my machine
from NT to Linux.  I've been able to get 2.1 loaded, the 2.2.11 kernel
installed (no problems, yet), and get the sound working to some extent
(having lib deps issues, but cd audio works).  My only major hold up is
the modem.  I just looked today, it's set to non-pnp, com2, irq3.  I've
tried minicom, wvdial and pon to get it to dial, but it simply doesn't
dial out.  I have them all pointing at /dev/ttyS1.  I have it set to init
with ATZ (tried AT, also). In a month, the modem won't matter much (will
have direct 100-base-t), but I'd like to move as quickly as possible (you
understand...) before going back to school.  Anybody have any suggestions
how I may solve this problem?

----
Dave Wiard                        Computer Science
davew@wcug.wwu.edu                Western Washington University
http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~davew

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.