Re: Trying to install Debian 2.1 on Alpha ES40

On 11-Aug-99 Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
> Alexandre Vitrac wrote:
>>
>> I'm totally new to the Alpha world and i'm actually trying to install an
>> Alpha distribution (Debian 2.1) on a new ES40 (4-way EV6).
>
> Wow!  I haven't even seen one of those things :-)  Must be nice!

Sure ! But it would be nicer with Linux on it :)

>> The problem is that I don't even get to some sort of boot prompt.
>
> Hmmm...I'm not sure anyone's even attempted to install Debian on an ES40
> yet, so the problem is most likely the kernel on the boot disk....

Well, I don't think so. Because I don't even get to a kernel loader. I should
end with an "aboot>" prompt, and I only have a lonely 'a' on one line.
I suppose that this lonely 'a' is just the beginning of "aboot>", but maybe I'm
wrong.
Is aboot like LILO on Linux/Intel ? Does the letters have a meaning ? (like :
"if it's stopped on a, this means that...").

> Hmm...it's probably not booting because there is not support for the
> ES40 in the generic kernels on the CD.  You may require a hand-spun boot
> disk.

I know that when I'll get to this boot prompt, I'll probably have lots of other
problems with the kernel, but for now, I would just like to have this prompt :)

Thanks.
Alexandre Vitrac
CS SI ATHESA
E-mail : avitrac@cea.fr