Re: SHMMAX, cdrecord, kernel

On Fri 02 Jul 1999, Xavier Montagutelli wrote:

> I can't use cdrecord on my alpha box, because the default value for SHMMAX
> in the kernel sources is 0x3fa000, but cdrecord needs at least 4MB
> (0x4000000).

No, it doesn't need that. That's only the default. I use cdrecord with
default kernel parameters by supplying the fs=4000k parameter.

> /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax. But is there a reason for setting this to the
> value of 0x3fa000, or can I change it without any risk ? Where is this
> value coming from ? (The default value on i386 is 32 MB).

Whenever this topic came up, no one has ever been able to say with any
certainty why the current value was chosen, and whether the default
could be changed... Maybe we (debian) should simply increase it, and see
what breaks (if anything)?

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org