Re: 2019 problem again!

On Monday, 28 Jun, John Goerzen wrote:
> For the first time in a LONG time, my system came up to 2019 again.

Bad.  I remember that when preparing Debian/Alpha for the first release
we took every possible known precaution to avoid this thing: Red Hat's
experience was too painful, 2017/2018/2019 issues being perennial on
axp-list.

Our response was to always use hwclock (not the old `clock' utility) and
access RTC only through /dev/rtc.

> This means that, among other things, crontabs fired off that did
> things like delete all the build logs for alpha, etc.  How can I
> prevent this for the future?

I wonder what caused it - did you not change your kernel by any chance?
Could you please try hwclock --debug to see if it uses /dev/rtc, and
look up the corresponding piece from /var/log/messages for the messages
from the RTC driver, like these:

Jun 28 16:31:12 genie kernel: Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
Jun 28 16:31:12 genie kernel: rtc: <blah blah> epoch detected

What kernel version do you use?

Nikita