Re: 2 SCSI cards

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 02:45:05PM -0400, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, James Simmons wrote:
>
> > built in NCR53C7 SCSI card. Well this card only supports 50 Pin SCSI. I
> > tried to add a WD 9 Gig UW SCSI 3 driver. So I add a Adpatec Card to
>
> Out of curiosity, have you recompiled your kernel to support the new card?
> I know, dumb question, but I've forgotten such details in the past
> (blush).  Also, I've heard of oddities when running more than one SCSI
> card in Alphas when more than one manufacturer is involved.  Any way of
> adding your old drive to the chain with the new one on the new card and
> just omitting the ncr support from the kernel?

A good practice (tried this with my now dead UDB and with Intel machines)
is to compile INTO the kernel support for the controller off which the
machine boots and compile the other controller's driver as a loadable
module.

Worked thus with a Multia and spare Buslogic 946C and with an Intel with
a Buslogic 958 and an Aha2940 driving a cdrom.
--
---MAV

Marc A. Volovic               | Comfort, n: A feeling one gets from
marc@bard.org.il              |   contemplating discomfort in another.
http://www.bard.org.il/~marc  |                   A. Bierce.