Re: MILO. now it boots - but ...

Okay, let me try to add a little sanity to all the suggestions. There
are 2 ways of partitioning an Alpha. One is to use BSD disklabels, the
other is to use x86 partitions. I'm not very versed in bsd disklabels,
so I'll let the ealier info stand on its own merit. (btw if somone
knows where a howto on bsd disklabels etc I'd appreciate it) If this
is your 1st foray into alpha from x86 machines, I'd suggest using the
same partitions you are used to.

Anyways, if you already have that done and are only wanting to get
milo on your HD so you can boot to it without a floppy... here are the
reasons as far as I remember.

IF you want the option of booting from the ARC console you have to have
milo resident on a FAT partition. This is because  ARC only knows how
to  read from a FAT partition, In this case  your planned boot sequence
would be  arc -> milo -> kernel.

Since this sounds like what your attempting to do. Here is the easiest
path to achieving it as far as I have found.

boot to your milo disk.
from milo boot to your linux kernel
install the dosfstools deb
do soemthing like 'mkfs.msdos /dev/sd??'
mount the partition you just mounted
cp linload.exe & milo to that partition
setup ARC to autoboot.

sorry for running on so long.