Re: Building packages with fakeroot

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Bart Warmerdam wrote:
>
> > I would like to warn all those of us who upload packages using fakeroot. I
> > have a strong suspicion that fakeroot is not working reliable. There are three
> > packages already I uploaded where postinst scripts try to chown files to my
> > user instead of root.
>
> Try the fakeroot I just uploaded.  I didn't do anything to it except
> compile it, but see if it solves any probs that you've run into.  I run
> all of my builds as root (I know...it's not great, but it works ALL of the
> time), so I can't comment on fakeroot much.

I have a m0dified fakeroot that might be of interest, particually on glibc
2.1 - it is running on faure right now, I haven't had time to track down a
glibc 2.1 alpha to test on.

The basic troubles with fakeroot are that it does not catch lchown and
that it does not handle stat64 - I have patched it for both but for some
reason my stat64 patch causes kubrick to segfault (it has an evil libc)

Jason