Re: Linux/Alpha Installation and Documentation (was Re: Debian Slink on AS200)

On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 10:36:17PM +1200, Martin Lucina wrote:
> Jim,
>
> On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 08:06:26PM +1000, Jim.Leven@agso.gov.au wrote:
>
> > I am wanting to move from RedHat 2.0.20 (ancient)  to Debian, but as the
> > AS200 that I have is my
> > port to everything - I am being (or trying to be) super cautious, otherwise
> > I will not have a system to
> > use to get help if I stuff up the upgrade!
>
> I assume you are planning to backup your data and doing a reinstall from
> scratch?

The conversion to debian from redhat is very straightforward **IF**
you have a spare drive (and enough RAM).  I just converted a UDB that
had been running redhat for quite some time; only problem was 24MB was not
enough ram for current MILO.  Can't say what AS200 needs.

I partitioned and formatted new drive on i86 machine, untarred base21.tgz
on new drive/partition (still on i86), and then plugged it into alpha
and it booted right up and ran fine once I added the new RAM.

Don't forget to remove /sbin/unconfigured (I forget exactly the name)
and to reconfigure fstab.

Then I mounted my original drive, moved critical stuff out of the
way to be extra safe and

for dir in $DIRS
do
  echo "Tarring $dir"
  tar -c -p -s /$dir | (cd /$MOUNT ; tar -x -p -s )
done

Then apt-get update and upgrade.

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039