underflow on alpha

Hi, I have the a problem running the following very simple C program on
alpha (Debian Linux):

int main() {
double a,b;
a=1.e-314
b=1.;
a=a*b;
}

during the execution of the program, the system returns floating point
exception and stops the execution of the program.
This is a kind of underflow, better say denormalized operand error.
Do you know how can I manage this problem on alpha? On Intel there is no
problem and the result of the floating point operation is zero.

Thank you a lot

Renato
---------

Renato Tognaccini,
Dipartimento di Progettazione Aeronautica,
Universita` di Napoli "Federico II",
Piazzale Tecchio 80,
80125 Napoli, ITALIA.

email:	rtogna@unina.it