Re: glibc 2.1 broken?

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 02:01:50PM -0500, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On 26 Mar 1999, Brederlow wrote:
>
> > Falk Hueffner updated his alpha to the current packages and with that
> > he updated to glibc 2.1. After that he had had a Debian system. I
> > don't know what the exact problem was, but after the glibc update most
> > glibc programs didn't work and dpkg was one of them. He tried to
> > downgrade back to the old one by hand, but that didn't work out.
>
> Hmmm...it depends on how he updated.  If he used apt, then all should be
> well.  If he just updated the libc6.1 package and then dpkg, then dpkg
> will segfault because the libncurses packages have to be upgraded as well
> to work with libc6.1.  I'm running glibc 2.1 currently on my UDB and all
> is well with past and present binaries.  If possible, have him upgrade all
> of the libs that he hasn't yet sync'ed with the potato tree.  libstdc++
> also needs to be upgraded and is in potato.  Without a few of these being
> upgraded, he should see many segfaults and/or missing symbol errors.

  The same happened to me. I upgraded not enough the first run (thats what you
  get downloading on a slow line and thinking you can cut the download time to
  a minimum :)

  What I did:
  download dpkg (and in my case also bash!)
  ar x bash_xxx, tar zxvf data.tar.gz, and replace /bin/bash with the just
      extracted one. ***THEN*** ar x dpkg and cd /usr/bin and install with
      *this* dpkg the new dpkg. Then all should work als usual :)

  B.

--
B. Warmerdam                                              GNU/Debian Linux
bartw@xs4all.nl, bartw@debian.org (Keyid: 10A0FDD1)       ----------------