Re: Booting debian/slink from SRM/ABOOT

"Jung, Michael" wrote:

> System AlphaServer 2100 - Sable Installed on
> /dev/sda4
>
> When looking at /dev/sda4 from a virtual terminal
> in the install program, the partition looks good.
>
> I'll be damned if I can get /dev/sda4/vmlinuz
> loaded though.  If I half understand, SRM
> doesn't understand the partition
> so I should be booting the rescue floppy and then
> success.

Alpha doesn't understand PC-style partitioning (ala disk druid, fdisk,
cfdisk), as it only understands BSD-style partitioning.

When you install, did you use PC-style or BSD-style partitions? (you
enter into BSD-style in fdisk using "b" command).

F'rinstance, on my running Sable, if you do an fdisk,p you'll see
nothing. Only if you go into "b", you'll see the partitions.

After making sure the partitions are really there, you'll have to write
aboot into the empty space in your boot disk (I hope you left some empty
cylinders in /dev/sda !!!).

Make sure you install aboot (if it's not already installed!). Then you
need to write aboot into the boot sector of sda:
	# swriteboot /dev/sda /boot/bootlx

RTFM the SRM-Howto....

Good luck.