Re: news about CD booting

On Thu 04 Mar 1999, Loic Prylli wrote:

>  To implement such a mechanism, I have modified the ramdisk
> driver, to be able to load a ramdisk not only from a floppy but from
> any device with a iso9660 image, I  store the offset of the root image

Cool!
I wonder if this could also be of use to other arch's...

> in an application_data  field of  the iso volume descriptor (aka
> super-block). This field is written with a modified isomarkboot.
> Hope it makes sense (at least I have got the first test working).

Maybe at some later stage mkisofs / mkhybrid could be adapted to
support this directly? In a way similar to the El Torito boot file
image...

> Before I generate a new set of kernels with this patch, is the last
> floppy patch posted by Paul the right one to include?

It was accepted by Alan Cox for 2.0.37-pre5, so I think it's acceptable :-)

> Finally, I have done recently several installation using only the
> serial port, and there is support to do it in the installation
> program, but as I have heard some report problems with the serial
> driver on some archs, I hesitate to recompile the kernels with the
> serial support inside the kernel, what do you think?

Doesn't the VGA/TGA display slow down to the speed of the serial port if
serial console support is enabled? That would not be nice; it would help
if that can be disabled by some boot parameter (or maybe enabled instead?).

I can build a kernel with serial support and see how that works on my
XLT tonight.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org