dselect taking ages to install

Robin Stephenson writes:
 > When I have picked out a couple of packages in dselect to install
 > (over NFS from a local mirror) it takes ages to complete: it seems to
 > be scanning every available package rather than going to the ones that
 > need installing.  The messages are `Skipping deselected package foo.'
 > and `Version bar of foo already installed, skipping.'.  Is there a way
 > to configure this to not happen?

Use apt-get instead of dselect, it is a _very_ nice tool, I highly
recommend it. You just need to know the name of the package you want to
install (for instance: apt-get install imagemagick). You can also
install manually a .deb with "dpkg -i file.deb"

 > Also, a while ago I mentioned the <sc 208(...... stuff: Paul Slootman
 > (IIRC) said that it was debugging information.  How can I turn this
 > debugging output off? -- it's less than enlightening, and I'm wearing
 > out my control-L key.

You can pick the new kernels on the new rescue disks at
http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/debian.html, the message should not
appear anymore.

Loic