Re: Upgrade your Multias...

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Maurice Hilarius wrote:

> >> Those who have older Alpha boxes, specifically Multias but other old
> >> Noname boards as well, might want to look at www.onsale.com---there's
> >> a company that's selling 233Mhz chips, and they're generally not even
> >> being bid on.
> >>
> >> The minimum is $149---which might seem a lot to some, but it still
> >> makes the Multia the cheapest machine I've ever owned.
>
> You DO want to warn people that <MOST> of the Multia/UDB machines have
> soldered CPUs and no speed-select jumpers. It is only a rare few that can
> accept the upgrade.

Yes, this is true, and thanks to Maurice for the reminder.  Only SOME
(actually, I believe less than half) of the UDB's out there are
upgradable.  PLEASE save yourself some anxiety and check if yours is or
not before ordering something like this.

I am lucky to have two UDBs with ZIF sockets that'll accept new
processors, but most UDBs have soldered-in 21066's.