Re: Weird...

At 18:18 -0500 1999-02-04, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
In /etc/login.defs, the environment ENV_HZ defaults to 100 (for x86
Linux), but also has a line for Linux/Alpha that assigns it to 1024
(commented out).  Any idea what this variable does overall?  It's
obviously incorrectly set in our package (I'll fix it and report a bug if
we can figure out what it does).

login uses it to set the HZ environment variable, but I don't believe the line is necessary. I have run my i386 box for a long time without the ENV_HZ line in /etc/login.defs with no ill effects.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>