Re: Booting problem

Ah ha, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 09:06:58AM +0800, Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:

>   ARC console, for future reference.

What does that stand for?

>   Remember the place where you changed the setup to boot from sdb1?
> There were four (I think) fields in that setup section. The final one
> was arguments to pass to MILO - it's probably currently set to 'boot
> sdb2:vmlinuz-2.0.35' or something. Just type in the full commandline
> that you use to get it to boot.

Ah ha.  Now I feel silly for not realizing that.  I had changed the third
option to point to the root fs (the second points to the milo fs), but I
guess MILO doesn't read/use that?

Someone else suggested a grep through the source, and I found in arch/alpha:

        ROOT_DEV = to_kdev_t(0x0802);           /* sda2 */

So I guess that it just "happened" to work earlier.

>   The other way is to use rdev, or at least it would be if we had it,
> but we don't appear to. I assume it doesn't work on alpha kernels...?

That would have been my instinct, too, but I couldn't find it either.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org