Ramdisk for Jensen

I am trying to install Debian on my Jensen.  I followed the instructions at:
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/Digital/Linux-Alpha/JENSEN_INSTALL/Jensen-HOWTO and
eventually was able to get to step "6B When prompted, insert the ramdisk
floppy".  I inserted the disk made from
http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/bf981115/root1440.bin.  I created the ramdisk
with the following command from another linux machine: 'dd if=root1440.bin
of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k'.

Given this prompt on the Jensen: "VMS Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into
ramdisk and press ENTER", I inserted the above mentioned disk and pressed ENTER.

I see this line:
Ramdisk: Compressed image found at block 0

then I get a screen full of these messages:
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 5952
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 5954
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 5996
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 5998

followed by nothing...

I tried several different methods of creating the disk on several different
machines.  I tried different diskettes.  Any ideas about what might be causing
this?  Thanks.

- C