X on 4/233, which mouse device/driver, Matrox Millenium setup

I've got a system built from the 981115 diskettes and ftp'ed packages from
that
same week.  My /etc/ld.so.conf was setup empty, so I added /usr/X11R6/lib
to it (thanks Mikolaj), and when I run xf86conf I can, after a lot of
parameter playing,
get a X graphic screen displayed, but without mouse support.

Q1: what is the correct mouse for an Alphastation 4/233?  I have a
PS/2-type
       plugged in the system (which works just fine with "brand-M" NT)
       Is it  /dev/mouse   ?
       Do I call it a microsoft mouse, a PS/2 mouse, or just a 2 button
mouse?
       Should I answer yes to the "emulate 3 buttons" question?

Q2: I have a Matrox Millenium 4M VRAM PCI card (not the newer Millenium-II)
        So, I select the xserver-svga package, pick out the Millenium card,
        then I do not specify the chip set or have the config program probe
the card
        What selections should work best for this card?
        Alternately, I also have a #9 Imagine 128-II card -- will this work
better?

I'll try re-installing and configuring everything in a few days, so I'll
pickup
newer packages and so on.  I have the machine on a lan, but its behind a
firewall, so I have to get the package files from another system, then ftp
them to this machine (its not convenient, but it beats walking.)

Regards,

Alex