lchown/dpkg was dead, but I killed it again!

James Carlson writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I installed the redhat glibc (trying to get mysql to work properly.)
 > Stupid, stupid.  Anyway, now dpkg doesn't work due to the chown
 > problem.  Luckily, I can't use dpkg to replace the bad, bad redhat glibc
 > with the good, good debian one.  I've been digging for the kernel patch
 > that I need, and not finding that.  What I need here is a plan for
 > extracting the rock from the hard place into which I have so firmly
 > driven it.

If you do not want to patch your kernel at once, you can try to
install the just mentioned patched libc that should work in any
combination of packages/kernels (except for unstable kernels between
2.1.0 and 2.1.9?)

It is at:
http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/~lprylli/glibc/libc6.1_2.0.7u-7.1_alpha.deb

As dpkg may be screwed in your current setting, you can install
manually the libc file that I have just added:
http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/~lprylli/glibc/libc-2.0.7.so
Do not forget to make it executable before installation and to check
the right symlink is there, and to do the switch atomically.

Regards,

Loic