Re: Alpha problems

Guenter Geiger <guenter.geiger@psp-vie.be.philips.com> writes:

> > * Most of xemacs20 is missing (xemacs20-bin, etc)
>
> Until someone manages to compile it, use emacs20 :)

That one doesn't work due to dependency problems. :-(

> This dropped on our head suddenly, but there are new X packages around already (scan the last messages
> about that topic)

I downloaded them from master but they won't install.  dpkg complains
about trying to set permissions on symlinks.  This is not the only
package that has caused that.  I am suspecting a dpkg bug.

> Use my kernel patch package <gige.epy.co.at>.

> > * kernel-source-2.0.35 just unpacks a tar.gz file in /usr/src.
>
> Hmm, with the orignal kernel-source too ? I thought it was a problem of my patch only :) .. will investigate. Thanks.

That is the original kernel-source deb fresh off my mirror.

> > * I had an odd problem wherein all of a sudden fsck started
>
> ???????

Somebody else replied.  Good to know I am NOT going insane! :-)

I was VERY startled by it myself.  I direct assault on the thought
processes, you know.  Unix isn't supposed to do that :-)

> >* The boot disks on master are hosed.  Ie, no resc1440.bin for my
> >   system.
>
> Use the new disks from Loic´s page (see Alpha port page). No resc1440 for what system ?

Found those already, thanks, but what I'm saying is that they ought to
be placed on the FTP archive.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org