Alpha problems

Hi,

I just got my Alpha and of course have replaced its RedHat with
Debian.

However, I've got lots of problems:

 * Most of xemacs20 is missing (xemacs20-bin, etc)

 * xserver-vga16 is missing

 * xbase is from the "new" (-6) X, but the rest of X isn't,
   and things like xterm packages aren't there either, meaning
   there's X but no xterm.  Why?  This is a serious problem.

 * I can't compile a kernel.  At first, make menuconfig
   complains of problems in line 30 of arch/alpha/Makefile.
   Later, I am unable to select the NCR53c8xx driver for
   compilation (I require this driver).  This applies to both
   2.0.34 and 2.0.35.

 * kernel-source-2.0.35 just unpacks a tar.gz file in /usr/src.

 * I had an odd problem wherein all of a sudden fsck started
   running while dselect was installing some things.  I may have
   hit something odd on the keyboard (Ctrl-something perhaps) but
   I did NOT run fsck.  Even stranger, it tried to change runlevels
   apparently, because after I killed fsck, it prompted me
   for the root password (as sulogin does) on one vt, but dselect
   continued in another.

 * The boot disks on master are hosed.  Ie, no resc1440.bin for my
   system.

Ideas?

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |